Over the years and especially the last few Dan and I have gotten to know each other pretty thoroughly especially when it comes to boundaries. For example, last month I bought Dan a package of 6 pair of cotton boxers off of Ebay (yes they were new....duh) and 6 pair of white briefs. When they arrived he kind of made a "hrummph" about the briefs because he said they were "too thin".
The meaning of the " hrrrrummmph"
depends on the context of the conversation (if you could call it that)
and sometimes I literally never know unless he follows up with a comment like the one he made about the briefs: they were too thin. I shouldn't have ordered
underwear on line. He could get a better deal himself. He would prefer
to buy his own underwear. All of the previous statements combined or
taken independently or in some other combination there of was the
meaning of the "hrumph".
If there
is no follow up I have learned that is an indication to just let it
pass. It is not a big deal and it is nothing personal.
There was a non- response or pause regarding the boxers. Different meaning entirely.
There was definitely something amuck. He didn't like the briefs. I would return them. How about the boxers? pause. pause. pause. "I guess we could keep the boxers". The boxers passed inspection. They would not be returned and I unpacked them and put them in his drawers sand as I did I admired how soft they were; and thick cotton. He had made a good choice!
The very next morning I was sitting in my chair and he came out of the bedroom in a pair of his new boxers. The brightest, blue & yellow pin striped pair of the bunch!!! I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair!! I couldn't help it!
Earlier in our marriage Dan would have been offended and (mostly) embarrassed but he said "WHAT?" , smiled and sat down in his chair.!! We've come a long way. Ha.
There are two things that Dan did ; one was earlier in our marriage and one now that if I mentioned it to him in a teasing way he would respond with a strong hrrruuuumph followed by a snappy response in defense of his actions. The first was that when the kids were little and we all would get ready for church, Dan would insist that they clean out the corner of their eyes of the morning "gook" with a warm washcloth for lack of a better term. I always thought that was weird. And he insisted. He didn't care if they had a hole in the knee of their tights ( or more likely if Danielle's were twisted around her toothpick legs) or if their hair was perfectly in place but by God, their eyes did not have any crust in them!!! Weird. I think.
More currently he does this. If we are going to have company he will organize the silver wear drawer. Perfectly. The mirror in the bathroom can be streaked or there can be dust bunnies in the corner of the kitchen floor but by God every piece of silver wear will be in it's place in case anyone would open that drawer! I dare not say anything about it. For one I would get a hrrruuuumph ...but worse it would be followed by a resounding WELL YOU DO THE CLEANING THEN!!!. Uh. I definitely wouldn't want to go there!!!
Miss my readers. I'll make coffee one of these Fridays. Not next Friday for sure but soon.
M
Friday, September 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Come on in & enjoy a cup of tea.
About Me
- Mary
- I'm a real princess of a gal:) Want to know more about who I am? Check out my Amazon.com "I Heart You" wish list above. Feel free to feed my fetishes.

2 comments:
I miss our talks but you still seem to make me smile.
Yes! Coffee! Do it!
Post a Comment