Sunday, February 27, 2011

Honor's class funny answers.

I definitely need to give more essay ?s to my honor's class. Dan & I were rolling on the floor laughing at some of their answers yesterday.

The day before the test, I gave them this:

There will be one essay question that will require you to write a paragraph in your own words regarding the following statement :

Birds have a very high metabolic rate so need to ingest large amounts of food. In addition birds also need to maintain high levels of oxygen in their bloodstream in order to keep up with this increased rate of cellular respiration.


And the day of:

*** Birds have a high metabolic rate. They need to ingest large quantities of food and maintain high levels of oxygen in order to meet the demands of increased cellular respiration. Other than having a crop, a gizzard & hollow bones, what other adaptations do birds have to help them keep up with this high rate of metabolism?

May I preface this by saying that weeks before they had already been assigned the pages this info was on & also, I pointed that to them the specific pages a few days before.

Here are our faves:

1) "Adaptation birds need to make for their high rate of metabolism are exercise more or alot.

2) I think for them to eat seeds which is healthy would keep up a high metabolism. Eating seeds from plants would do good for the health.

3) ........ and wings to have a better view of things.

4) To get the demands of exercise daily so they can eat more, get enough sleep for energy stored up in the body.


The answer I was looking for was to reference their highly specialized respiratory system that ensures a constant, highly concentrated supply of O2 & also by me eliminating crop, a gizzard & hollow bones from their response left the door open to include feathers in their answers.

I had 3- 4 kids who will get full credit & 8- 10 partial. Now........ formative assessment, summative assessment.... point value.... the laughter has to stop for just a bit:)

No comments:

Photobucket

Come on in & enjoy a cup of tea.

About Me

My photo
I'm a real princess of a gal:) Want to know more about who I am? Check out my Amazon.com "I Heart You" wish list above. Feel free to feed my fetishes.