I've
heard.
That the school that I used to work in is in chaos and that
" I picked a good time to leave".... as if I had a choice. I believe that God intervened and saved me from losing my soul from the depths of despair believing that education was heading for the nearest rock to flounder upon an sink forever never to be resurrected for generations.
I was wrong. I have been working under the first administration ( of my career) that is competent.
I am working in a place that is quiet and respectful and empty of fear.
I am working in a department where working cooperatively and without dysfunction is the norm.
I am working in a place where everyone knows what the expectations are and they meet them gladly because they are presented with purpose , make sense, are clearly for kids and not for greed or to feather a cap of some sort.
Of course all of my perceptions from my new "placement" are at first blush and I am not so naive as to think that there are not underlying currents of filth and disgust where I am as well. I just haven't seen any evidence of it.
In my heart of hearts I have a palpable feeling of uneasiness that this bliss is short lived and simply a result of not having the filth and disgust catch up with them yet. This is based on some very specific observations.
For example, in my new placement they are just BEGINNING to look at rubrics but they have camoflaged the term rubric with "scales" . Why do they find it necessary to rename rubric and why doesn't anyone around me have the faintest idea of what a rubric/ scale is?
I attended an IEP meeting a week ago and people seemed surprised that a mainstream teacher showed up. I even had 3 candy bars in my PO in appreciation for my insight. Is it possible that the feds haven't caught on to this oversight?
I met with a counselor and a student who was giving me problems in school. The counselor was overjoyed that I would take the time to try to develop a positive relationship with this child. What has been happening with misunderstandings between tutor and student in the past? Does it just go on?
At the beginning of the year our school's AYP data was presented to the staff. There have been gains in some areas, losses in others but the achievement gap narrowed for the very first time. This phenomenon was presented by the administration in a celebratory fashion followed by a round of applause. It was an after thought, a flippant , joking notation that the narrowing gap between the lines on a projected graph showed that in fact the gap is narrowing but not because the low has gained significantly thereby catching up with the top, but that the top for the first time has lost ground more closely mirroring the gains but in the opposite direction. How are we supposed to feel good about that? And why do our leaders seem happy about it?
Yes. I am glad that I am not wallowing in what sounds like difficult muck to navigate through in my old school but my gut is telling me that the water is about to be muddied in my new school.
The good news? I won't be around to have to re adjust my navigation systems. For now I am thoroughly reveling in what feels like bliss and taking full advantage of it by not worrying about what the future holds and working hard and in the moment with my new colleagues, school and mostly wonderful students :)
I have a LOT to be thankful for today and my heart is overflowing with gratefulness. :)
Wishing you all a very happy and restful Thanksgiving.
Mary :)
That the school that I used to work in is in chaos and that
" I picked a good time to leave".... as if I had a choice. I believe that God intervened and saved me from losing my soul from the depths of despair believing that education was heading for the nearest rock to flounder upon an sink forever never to be resurrected for generations.
I was wrong. I have been working under the first administration ( of my career) that is competent.
I am working in a place that is quiet and respectful and empty of fear.
I am working in a department where working cooperatively and without dysfunction is the norm.
I am working in a place where everyone knows what the expectations are and they meet them gladly because they are presented with purpose , make sense, are clearly for kids and not for greed or to feather a cap of some sort.
Of course all of my perceptions from my new "placement" are at first blush and I am not so naive as to think that there are not underlying currents of filth and disgust where I am as well. I just haven't seen any evidence of it.
In my heart of hearts I have a palpable feeling of uneasiness that this bliss is short lived and simply a result of not having the filth and disgust catch up with them yet. This is based on some very specific observations.
For example, in my new placement they are just BEGINNING to look at rubrics but they have camoflaged the term rubric with "scales" . Why do they find it necessary to rename rubric and why doesn't anyone around me have the faintest idea of what a rubric/ scale is?
I attended an IEP meeting a week ago and people seemed surprised that a mainstream teacher showed up. I even had 3 candy bars in my PO in appreciation for my insight. Is it possible that the feds haven't caught on to this oversight?
I met with a counselor and a student who was giving me problems in school. The counselor was overjoyed that I would take the time to try to develop a positive relationship with this child. What has been happening with misunderstandings between tutor and student in the past? Does it just go on?
At the beginning of the year our school's AYP data was presented to the staff. There have been gains in some areas, losses in others but the achievement gap narrowed for the very first time. This phenomenon was presented by the administration in a celebratory fashion followed by a round of applause. It was an after thought, a flippant , joking notation that the narrowing gap between the lines on a projected graph showed that in fact the gap is narrowing but not because the low has gained significantly thereby catching up with the top, but that the top for the first time has lost ground more closely mirroring the gains but in the opposite direction. How are we supposed to feel good about that? And why do our leaders seem happy about it?
Yes. I am glad that I am not wallowing in what sounds like difficult muck to navigate through in my old school but my gut is telling me that the water is about to be muddied in my new school.
The good news? I won't be around to have to re adjust my navigation systems. For now I am thoroughly reveling in what feels like bliss and taking full advantage of it by not worrying about what the future holds and working hard and in the moment with my new colleagues, school and mostly wonderful students :)
I have a LOT to be thankful for today and my heart is overflowing with gratefulness. :)
Wishing you all a very happy and restful Thanksgiving.
Mary :)


No comments:
Post a Comment