Saturday, September 5, 2009

Back in the saddle again.



After a bumpy start I feel ready to teach. Why the bumps? Well let me count the ways:

1) Dan is home. This has been good and bad. The good is fairly obvious but the bad may escape most including myself until I thought hard about it. I have had NO alone time this summer.

Remember, I have had "summers off" since 1978 without Dan being around during the day. Kids... yes. Husband? No. He keeps himself very busy, but we are still TOGETHER... all day. It has been an adjustment & for the most part has gone very smoothly... until recently.

As school approaches it is normal for me to get pretty uptight/ moody & distant but this year I feel like Dan is in my face. It bothers me. We talked about it Th. night & agreed that this weekend would be a great time for him to go Rochester to see Jamie & Fam. Jessica left for Duluth yesterday. Dan & I sat around the bonfire last night enjoying at least an evening of just Dan & I alone time & after I buzzed his head this am he left... until Monday.

Whew. Just Buster and I chillin' out. I needed this. And I love Dan (and Jamie) for understanding it.

2) The science standards are changing... again. They have been in perpetual flux for at least 5 years. I believe the final draft will be approved by spring. They are once again different from the last 5 or 6 drafts but I am optimistic that these are the best standards yet. I like the direction they will lead science educators and their instruction.

I understand that I will be a part of their implementation but also that I will be out of the profession before real success is realized. This is a bittersweet realization for me. And the new standards mean work. Hard work. I am just so thankful for the excellent people in my department.

I guess those are really the only bumps. Oh.
3)I have a student teacher who is wonderful but she talks a LOT. Because of the new standards I am having to revamp my curriculum for the beginning of the year. This compounds the challenges of having a student teacher right away but I have to look at it positively. She is VERY good (has taught already & is a little older)& we click. She is funny & fun and is not very needy. She will be really helpful when it comes to figuring out Skyward too. :)

That is all I have to say for today.

FLASH & Buster.

No comments:

Photobucket

Come on in & enjoy a cup of tea.

About Me

My photo
I'm a real princess of a gal:) Want to know more about who I am? Check out my Amazon.com "I Heart You" wish list above. Feel free to feed my fetishes.