Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Very good short story.

My sister, Donna, sent both Lisa & I a copy of World Enough And Time by Linda MacCullough Moore.

It is ironic that it is about a woman who is dying. It took me awhile to get through the part I quote below because I was LAUGHING so hard. :

WHEN NANCY WAS SIX and I was eight, she told me that a witch lived underneath our bed and then would throw my pillow on the floor, where it would lie till morning. One day she tied a string across the middle of our room and said she would tear my eyes out if I put one foot on her side. The door was on her side.

When she was miffed, Nancy could be stone silent from after lunch till bedtime. She would play dead in fights, stop breathing, feign sincere unconsciousness until I begged and pleaded and promised I’d be her servant my whole life — a promise I now wonder have I kept.

She told our little brother Ricky if he wet his finger and put it in the electric socket, ice cream would come out. She promised if he jumped off the six-foot-high armoire, he could fly. Inspired by the first seat belts, she chained him to his tricycle and pushed him down a hill.

Oh, Nancy would give you anything. She was always generous. And she was mean.

I can’t tell you just what it all amounts to, but I do know that I am afraid of her to this very day.


To this day I am afraid of Donna.... I wonder if she is afraid of me?

F :)

ps. as usual the card itself that she sent the story in & how she sent it .... 8 pages folded into a 3 inch square, stuffed into the envelope making it near impossible to read
is so typical DONNA that I was laughing before I even got the darn thing open!!!

THE CARD: Pretty sure this represents me although I can't be positive which makes it all the more hilarious. Donna has always admired my interests in shooting/hunting and now riding a motorcycle. We are different that way.


No comments:

Photobucket

Come on in & enjoy a cup of tea.

About Me

My photo
I'm a real princess of a gal:) Want to know more about who I am? Check out my Amazon.com "I Heart You" wish list above. Feel free to feed my fetishes.